Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Kindergarten at Home - Day 24 - Food Groups + Sense of Smell

Lesson 1 - Science: Healthy Eating Habits - The Food Groups.  Meat & Protein, Vegetables, Fruit, Dairy, Grain, Oils (includes nuts, cooking oils and fish).  I separated each food group onto it's own dish/container so it would be easier to see and remember for the kiddos.  We ate Dino Chicken Nuggets (meat/protein), mixed veggies (vegetables), Watermelon (fruit), Milk (dairy), Multi-Grain crackers (grains), and organic nut bar (oils).

Lesson 2 - Math: Cone and Cylinder.  After some workbook exercises, we looked at some objects we had around the house that were a cone-shape (the witch's hat, and the cone on the ice cream cone toy), and a cylinder shape (Pam cooking spray can and a pillar candle).

Lesson 3 - Activities: Testing Sense of Smell.  I blindfolded my little Kindergartner and made her do a blind smell-test to see if she could guess what each item was.  We tried a few more than pictured, but the ones she got right away were: Salsa, Cinnamon, Broccoli, and she guessed Syrup first for the Honey, but got it on the second guess.  We reviewed the five senses, and showed her how if you were blind, you could use other senses to provide clues about your surroundings.

Lesson 4 - Social Studies: I am Unique.  Mommy: "What makes you unique?"  Daughter: "I can roll dough with both my hands at the same time!"  Mommy: "Show me!"  Mommy: "What else makes you unique?" Daughter: "How I twirl when I dance!"

Lesson 5 - Language Arts: Willfully Write Wonderful Ww's When Working With Wabbling Wands

No comments:

Post a Comment